Sunday 23 October 2005

Things I need for Raya

Raya is about 12 days away. People are busy getting kuih, new clothes and bus tickets for balik kampung. I've never bought kuih raya before, but a couple of weeks ago I sampled some really good pineapple tarts that were sold by our receptionist so I placed an order for one pack. I might decide to get a couple more for Mak and Mama.

Nuaim has his new baju melayu ready. Like last year, Mak bought some voile material and Mama had them tailored back in Alor Setar. So spoilt la my son the first cucu ni. The five baju that were too loose last year now fit him just nice, so he has about SEVEN to wear this year. We've also bought him a songkok that I'm sure he'll keep pulling off during photoshoots. Size 19 1/4 - big head my son has. I decided not to get him a new kain sampin - the last one we bought is still serviceable.

But what about Nuaim's Ummi? Since a couple of years back, I haven't given much thought to raya preparations. If it wasn't for Mak and Mama's generosity in buying me new clothes, I'd still be wearing the same thing I did from six or seven years' back. But this year, I have a list:
  1. New glasses. My only remaining pair is in danger of falling to pieces after Nuaim twisted the handle a couple of days back. Miraculously it didn't break - just. The new ones will be ready tomorrow. Thick reddish frames this time. Hubby liked the schoolgirl look - 'Nampak muda remaja sikit.'
  2. New shoes/sandals. I've been walking in the same pair of high-heeled green Clarks sandals for weeks already. They look cool (kinda retro) but lately they've proven to be precarious, especially with Nuaim insisting on 'Dum' all the time. Note to self - Don't get Clarks Springers. They're comfortable and all, but really don't last that well in our humid and wet environs. Bata is a safer (and cheaper) bet. And not just for raya, but to last the whole pregnancy and beyond.
  3. A baju raya. I've decided to spoil myself by buying something from ModernMum. There's a nice kebaya-looking top which I think might just do the trick. Plus can collect Bonuslink points. I'm a loyalty card junkie so shoot me.
  4. New seat covers for dining room. Next time I shouldn't get chairs with plain cream-coloured upholstery - cepat kotorlah. Saw nice blue stripey thingy in IKEA for RM40 each. If I need 6 that'll be RM240! Berbaloi ka, or cheaper to buy cloth and make my own?
Going shopping with Hubby this afternoon for numbers 2 and 3. Am excited. He'll probably object to number 4, but I can hope.

3 comments:

realitylane said...

yayy you love me so much you linked to me twice!! that's 100% more than everyone else! yayaya!

i takde baju raya...

ubisetela said...

for #4, it will be cheaper to make your own.. but leceh kan.. so BELI je! I love stripes too, excluding 'hidung belang'.

careen,
I'll be homeless for raya.. and tak balik raya.. but I HAVE BAJU RAYA! :P

Dian said...

In the end, only got me the shoes. The clothes at MM didn't look so nice up close, and never got round to IKEA either.

Ubi, beraya di perantauan is a nice experience, but homeless? Kesiannya...