Tuesday 25 October 2005

Lailatul Qadr khairun min Alfi Shahr

I can barely keep my eyes open. I arrived at the office at 7.40 a.m. today, but spent the first 40 minutes asleep in the Surau. My lead engineer rang me up on my mobile to check where I was just as I was walking back to my desk.

Yesterday's PRA session lasted the whole day, right up to just before iftar. And we were only halfway through. Luckily, the next session is postponed till after raya, and there were even suggestions that it will take place on a weekend, away from office premises. maybe as some kind of team-building session, no?

Last night, being the night of 21 Ramadhan, also signalled the beginning of the quest for Lailatul Qadr, the Night of Power. The Quran states that this night is better than a thousand months, meaning that whosoever performs prayers on this night will be rewarded as if he has performed it for a thousand months. It is not disclosed when exactly is the Night in question, only that it falls on one of the odd-numbered nights of the last ten days of Ramadhan. And as Islam interpretes night as beginning on Maghrib preceding the day, hence last night was the 21st, while today is the 21st day of fasting. Muslims generally are encouraged to spend the nights performing prayers and I'tikaf (seclusion) in mosques.

That, however, is not the reason I am so heavy-lidded this morning. Yes, I did spend my wee hours awake, but not for prayers. Instead, Nuaim decided to make 2.30 a.m. his new playtime. He woke up suddenly, asking for my mum's maid, Cik Dah. Now, whenever Nuaim wants his bottle of milk, he will only request it from her. So when he started going 'Daahh!' I thought that milk was what he wanted. I didn't want to have to wake her up in the middle of the night, so decided to make it myself.

I carried Nuaim to the kitchen and asked him again whether he wanted his 'Nenen', to which he didn't respond. So I thought maybe he just had a nightmare or something. We went back to bed, but again he started asking for Cik Dah. This time I made him his bottle, and he happily drank it all up. When he seemed to have settled down to sleep again, I changed his nappie (it's so difficult to do it when he's up and awake because he doesn't like wearing them), then went to the loo myself.

And what should greet me when I walk out of the bathroom? The sight of Nuaim sitting up in bed, insisting to be let out of the room. I carried him for a bit, sang a lullaby, but he simply refused to be lulled by it. I could see that at least someone was still awake upstairs, so ascended the staircase to where my brother, the Eternal Nocturnal, was playing a video game and my sister was chatting online (they have weird playtimes too, my siblings). Nuaim, wide-eyed by now, seemed interested in the video game for about 10 minutes, then decided to make a foray into my sleeping sister's room, presumably in search of her stuffed koala (the toy, not taxidermy variety) to which he has an attachment. Having found the koala, he seemed pleased, but no sooner than a minute later he was going 'Tuin' (downstairs). I thought I'd cracked it by now - that he wanted his teddy bear to sleep with, but he headed for the front door instead. By this time it was 4.00 a.m. and Cik Dah was in the kitchen to prepare sahur, so thankfully for me she was able to take him off my hands while I tried to catch a few winks.

Hubby was up to do his prayers, but I couldn't stay on my feet anymore. My slumber was quite fitful though, so by the time he woke me up again for sahur an hour later I was really cranky. Nuaim was still at it, insisting on going outside where it was dark and raining, so I let Hubby deal with him instead. Fortunately he must have felt tired himself, because he was quite willing to be put to bed after that.

I just hope there's no repeat performance tonight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmmm...i can see a budding anaesthetist. hehehehe. Tough that Dian, but insyallah it will get better (mcm ada anak 10 :P..)

Dian said...

He's a bit of a techie as well - loves to fiddle with the remote controls, our PC, the radio. Anak engineer la katakan...