Friday 21 October 2005

Buka Puasa at Kelantan Delights

Some friends from the office decided to have a 'buka puasa' gathering. These are the same people I usually have lunch with, but for the iftar we decided husbands should join in.
Hubby was reluctant at first - after all, these friends are actually a couple (or more?) of years younger than me, and he felt like he'd stick out like the paternal figure. And he definitely didn't want to be stuck with a bunch of giggly gossipy women and their husbands whom he doesn't know too well at all. But I coaxed and cajoled and promised to pay for his dinner, and finally he relented.
So Thuisday night, after breaking my fast with a Mentos and performing my Maghrib prayers, we met up with the rest of the gang at Kelantan Delights on level 4 of Suria KLCC. I guess for RM39++ the spread was quite good. One wonders what's on display at the RM100++ hotel buffets around KL. Here's a roundup on the menu (look away now if you're fasting).
There were cute little buah tanjung (much lighter yellow than the ones I bought), jala mas and lompat tikam - and that was about all that was distinctly Kelantanese about the food (minus the budu). A few other assortments of local kuih were available. Appetisers included cucur udang, popiah and samosa, all of which were quite tasty. The menu was strictly Malay, with white rice, fried rice and a variety of dishes. I skipped the ayam masak merah and fried chicken (too common), went for the jenahak (red snapper?) curry, sotong sambal petai, paru goreng cili (Ubisetela eat your heart out), pari masak lemak, daging bakar and mixed veggies (a pregnant lady needs her greens). The plates were so small, I had to get a refill to properly satiate my appetite.
We were entertained by my friends' attempts to use the Bluetooth function on their handphones. Being a boring Nokia 3315 user (monophonic, monocolour and all that), I only played the part of bemused observer, as the three of them were trying to figure out what 'passkey' meant and found out that their phones didn't have the application to run the transferred file in the end.
On a side note, apparently the buffet spread at Awana Genting is pretty good value for RM45 nett. Got sushi and all that.

1 comment:

ubisetela said...

that paru!! arghh.. fuh, nasib baik tak der gambar & I'm reading this at night!

lucky yesterday I had yummy food at tadarrus.. got sambal belacan, ikan bakar& air asam, gulai nangka,ikan kering.. siap tapau lagi!