Tuesday 18 October 2005

The quest for buah tanjung

When I was a lot younger, my late father would spend Ramadhan afternoons driving all the way across KL to the Pasar Ramadhan in Datok Keramat to buy all kinds of kuih for the breaking of fast, but the two I remember the most are buah tanjung and jala mas. These golden yellow, syrupy sticky sweet morsels hail from Kelantan, and at the Datok Keramat market could be found in abundance. I'm not quite sure what goes into their making, but I believe it must be copiously unhealthy amounts of sugar and egg yolks.

The first time I attempted to fast was when I was six years old. My fasting would start in the morning like everyone else, but around noon I'd 'break' for lunch then resume fasting till Maghrib, when I'd be the first to gulp down the air sirap bandung. One day I decided to go all the way and fast like the grown ups. I felt so weak, and spent most of the day sleeping until it was time to go to Datok Keramat. My parents told me it was okay if I wanted to break my fast earlier, but I was adamant to prove I could do it. Even then I was hanging on to my parent's arm like a limp rag doll (I can't remember whether it was Mak or Ayah). Finally, at one of the stalls, they managed to coax a piece of buah tanjung into my mouth, after which I felt a whole lot better. I lasted till 6 pm that day.

Ramadhan always evokes memories of buah tanjung. It is not very common at the other PR (Pasar Ramadhans) I've been to. When I found out a restaurant near my mum's house was selling traditional Kelantan kuih like akok (akak?) and lompat tikam, I went to have a look but found no buah tanjung there.I guess people here just cannot take its high sugar content. Even my siblings don't seem to favour it much.

Being pregnant, of course, has its privileges. Hubby didn't put up a fuss when I suggested we go look for this rare delicacy. If Mak was around she'd say I was craving or mengidam for them.

Last Sunday we visited the Kampung Baru PR to try our luck. The first stall we approached on Jalan Raja Muda Musa had an array of kuih not seen elsewhere, so I was expectant. A thorough scan of the spread dashed my hopes. We tried the whole length of Jalan Raja Alang as well but to no avail.

Our final stop was the Datok Keramat market. As soon as I rounded the corner to enter, the whole place was familiar to me. The sun's rays cut across the stall shades at exactly the same angle, highlighting all the goodies the way I remember it in my mind's eye. The buah tanjung I found in a small round plastic container at the first stall on the right, the last pack left of its kind. I quickly grabbed it, worried that someone might snatch it away before I did. 9 tiny orange balls of sweetness.

We walked around the market a bit more, and I discovered how foolish I was in my haste. There were at least two more stalls selling buah tanjung and its eternal companion the jala mas. I bought a piece of jala mas - it was selling at RM1.50 a piece. It looks like roti jala but is yellow-orange and really sweet. Not as moist as the buah tanjung though, which is why I don't like it as much, but I felt a need to introduce my husband to its glory.

If I remember to, and if there are any left at home, I'll take a picture and put it up here. My reaction to all those pictures of sushi and sambal udang other people have on their blogs.

3 comments:

ubisetela said...

I don't really like buah tanjong but am a big fan of jala mas.. yummsss.. would love to make jala mas here, but I couldn't get telur itik.. chicken egg yolks will not make good jala mas.

ubisetela said...

btw, do you know 'mas sejemput'?

Dian said...

Ubi,
Don't know mas sejemput. Kat NZ ubi setela banyak tak? Can make cek mek molek...