Tuesday 6 November 2007

We serve to please...or not!

Last week, I had three different experiences with the customer service from three different bodies. let me recount each one.


1. The Customer is King

Or Queen, in my case.

I have to say the people at MPHOnline are really, really nice. I had made several online purchases, which were delivered to me before Aiesyah was born. The order receipt had the correct titles, but they had left out one book and sent me a different title instead. It was from the same authors, though, and the title was almost similar, I suppose it was easy enough to make the mistake.

Anyway, I only called them up about a month after the books had arrived to inform them of the mistake. A lovely lady took the call. Initially she asked if I could walk into their Superstore at Midvalley to make the exchange. When I informed her that I was still in Confinement and could only go after the 17th of November, she politely told me that she would make some other arrangements for my benefit. A couple of hours later, she called me up to tell me that someone from the store would pick up the book from me the next day.

And would you believe it, true to her word, they did send someone over to exchange the book. I was so pleased I put in another online order.


2. The Customer is Right

You know the house renovations I've been blogging about? Well, since the house is still a work in progress, the lawn is in a pretty messy state (more messy than pretty, I can assure you). I still haven't decided on the landscaping. I'd love to be able to squeeze in a swimming pool, a gazebo and a fruit orchard into that little space while still able to build an extension of the house in the future...but I digress.

Anyway, one day a Notice arrives from MBSA (Shah Alam City Council). Apparently I have violated some Local Act by allowing the lawn to become so overgrown and it's become a nuisance to the community. There were even some photos attached to show the state of the lawn. However, the house that was inspected was not my house, but the one across the road with the large lawn I coveted so much. The last time I looked the house was for sale, and it is still unoccupied and untouched. For a moment I did wish it was mine though, but I'm sure it costs a lot more than I can afford on my company loan.

The first time I called up the number printed on the notice, I was told that no one was around as there was a Hari Raya do for the MBSA staff. The next week I called again, but was told that the officer who signed the notice belonged to a different department (apparently the number on the notice was for the Law Department and the issuing officer was from Environment instead or something like that lah). The lady on the other end sounded so 'garang' and wouldn't even ask me what my concern was.

I tried a third time without mentioning the name of the officer but the Act under which the notice was served instead. Finally, they managed to put me through to the correct personnel. It was a gentleman. When I told him that they had served the Notice to the wrong person, he sounded quite worried. He assured me that he would look into the matter and resolve it. Well, to date I have not received any other calls or missives from MBSA, so I assume they must have settled the matter.


3. The Customer is ... what Customer?

This one really got my goat. If I had one. Since I only have a blog, I'm ranting about it here instead.

Hubby and I were mulling over taking up the free 2nd Astro decoder offer and installing it in Nuaim's new 'room' in Mak's house. The original intention is to avoid a noisy showdown between him and my siblings whenever his Animal Planet specials coincide with live EPL matches or box office movies on HBO. We were also wondering whether we could relocate the decoder to TTDI Jaya once we move house, hopefully early next year.

I called up Astro's 1-300 number and was initially greeted by a helpful sounding person. Unfortunately the person wasn't able to give me much help, but gave me a different number to call instead. When I called the given number and asked about the offer, I was redirected to another line. It took some time before this line was connected, and when it did I found myself talking to another lady who sounded so annoyed by having to answer the phone, as if I'd rudely awakened her from her beauty sleep. There also seemed to be another lady in the background having a conversation with her, or maybe it was a case of crossed lines? I couldn't really tell, and when the sleepy lady said to 'call back later' I couldn't tell who she was talking to either. After a couple of seconds I hung up and huffed and puffed for a while.

Anyway, I later found out through Astro's website that the decoder doesn't come with the dish, and would have to remain at the same address as the first decoder for 24 months. We've since decided not to get one until we move house.

I wish I could say that I'd go to another service provider, but there's no real choice in this matter unless I invest in countless DVD's just to keep Nuaim happy. And I miss chilling out on Discovery Travel and Living.

No comments: