Sunday 18 November 2007

My treasure trove

Since I can't sleep, I plan.

Actually I'm big on planning. At the office, I pin weekly To-Do lists on my cubicle panel, I write them down in my monthly planner, and I key them into my Outlook. And they're all colour-coded as well, depending on job number. Once, I got so excited about the whole thing that I updated the company calendar with my personal appointments by mistake, then found out I couldn't delete or undo them. Fortunately the appointments were neither private nor confidential.
For the past week or so, I've been updating and revising my daily plan for the next three weeks on my PDA. It's filled with the most mundane things, like 'Buy swimsuit for Nuaim', 'pick up Aiesyah's Mykid', etc etc etc. And trips to furniture shops - which is turning out to be something very big on my agenda.
Today, after making a very long overdue visit to my condo, I've concluded that a lot of planning will have to go into the packing for the move to TTDI Jaya. Going through the cupboards and drawers, I realised that Hubby and I have accumulated a large number of knick-knacks and bric-a-brac. There's a lot of stuff that's probably way past its use-by date, and an equal number of things which are still in good condition but I know we'll never really put to use. And the most annoying this is that I still haven't found what I was looking for in the first place.

It's funny - I thought by moving into a bigger house I would have more open space to live in, but it turns out I'll need more furniture to actually keep all my things stored away. Unless we can both stop being sentimental about some of the unused wedding gifts (like Pak Ngah's decorative table lamp that was probably fashionable in the 70's), we'll have to raise our hands and admit to being guilty of hoarding.
And when exactly did we manage to fill up all the shelves with books? That's not even counting the books I still have at Mak's house that never made it to the condo. They're still sitting in a box at the top of the stairs, thoughtfully packed by my sister, to make room in the bookcase we previously shared for her growing collection of books. Not to mention the set of books I splurged on for Nuaim during a Book Fair, and all his other books that are fighting for space in mak's TV cabinet.
So far I've devised a plan to sort out which books will be kept for the move (religion, cookbooks, motivation, self-help, dictionaries) and which will have to go (novels I'll only ever read once). Maybe it's high time I kiss fantasy novels goodbye. Ustaz Ariffin dah cakap buku2 macam ni mengarut, boleh bawa pada syirik.
And don't even get me started on clothes and crockery. At last count, I have 7 teapots, each with a set of matching cups and saucers. Didn't even have to spend a single sen on them.
So now that I've got a rough plan in my head, I keep visualising the implementation. And this is the culprit that's keeping me awake. Until I actually get the work done, I won't be able to sleep on it. I'd initially marked three days to declutter and pack all the stuff, but I think three weeks is more like it. At this rate, I'll be looking like a zombie when I go back to work.

No comments: