Friday 19 October 2007

Reminiscing Bergy

There was a tribute to Dennis Bergkamp in The Daily Telegraph that was reprinted in The Star today. Reading it reminded me of the times in England when I visited Highbury or Wembley to watch Arsenal play. You could feel a tingle in the air whenever the ball got to his feet, like magic was about to happen. And invariably it did.

I first knew of Dennis Bergkamp when he was transfered from Inter Milan to Arsenal in the summer of 1995. At the time, I had just started going out with a hardcore football fan(atic) who idolised Bergy, so naturally I picked up on his hobbies and passions. I broke up with the bloke in 2001, but my relationship with Arsenal and Dennis Bergkamp endured till marriage and family commitments took over.

I hardly watch the football matches now, due to the inconvenient broadcast times in Malaysia, but I still catch up on their fortunes through the newspapers and football gossip at the office. Then today I stumbled upon this YouTube video clip which starts with my favourite Bergkamp goal ever. Watch it and tell me you're not amazed.

Thank you, Dennis. It was a great pleasure - no, a great HONOUR to have watched you play.

No comments: