Wednesday 31 October 2007

Al-Fatihah Datuk Dr Nik Zainal

Before breakfast this morning, Mak asked me, "The doctor who died is your friend's dad, right?"
I looked at her, puzzled, "Which doctor?"
"The one who died yesterday, in an accident. Dr Nik Zainal. It was in the papers, front page. Don't you read the papers?"
"I do...well, I read The Star. Maybe it was only in Utusan (Malaysia)."
"It's in all the papers."
So during breakfast I searched for yesterday's news - and there it was. Front page on Utusan Malaysia, and a small column in the middle of The Star that I somehow missed (in the midst of exclaiming to my brother how such a small state like Malacca could bestow more than 600 awards and honours - but that's a different story).

It was a big shock. Just a few days ago, I had mentioned his name to my late father's friend who was telling us about his house in Janda Baik. Dr Nik Zainal also has a weekend getaway in that area. Recently too, there was an article in the papers on Jalan San Ah Wing, which is where the family residence is. And I remember only too clearly that the last time I went to Jalan San Ah Wing was for another friend's funeral.
His daughter, Nik Serena, and I were close friends during A-Levels. In fact we continued to be close friends even throughout and after university but sadly I've lost touch with her since she now lives in England (again, the stupid excuse of distance, work and family comes in). The occasions on which I met Dr Nik Zainal were very few and far between, several years in fact. But he always treated me kindly on those occasions, and even remembered my name and the fact that I studied in Oundle with his daughter. I remember also the fun weekend Serena and I spent in Newcastle when we visited her brother who was studying medicine then. Warmth and friendliness run in their genes.
My most heartfelt condolences to the family of a man who not only contributed so greatly to the country, but did so in the greatest manner possible. May Allah bless your soul, Uncle Nik.

No comments: