Saturday 29 July 2006

One of those days

I had one of those 'this can't be happening to me' days recently. One wrong thing after another.

The roads around KLCC were partially closed due to the ASEAN conference going on the whole week. Expecting massive jams, I decided to take the LRT to work. One day, as my brother was sending me off to the Bangsar station, I noticed that I'd left my handphone at home. No matter, I could always call him from the office to pick me up later. Then as I fumbled in my bag for my Touch n Go, I saw that my security pass was missing too. I made a mental note to pick up a temporary pass from the front desk when I reached my destination.

So there I was, striding purposefully towards the female security personnel, when I opened my purse to get my IC and - it wasn't there. Mentally I placed the blame on Nuaim, who is always emptying my purse of all my cards and cash. Panic started to mount when I couldn't find my driving license either. I quickly racked through my mind, trying to remember where I had placed these items as everything else was in place. Then it occurred to me that I had taken out my IC and driving card and placed them into a dinner purse when attending a kenduri last weekend. Kesian Nuaim tak pasal-pasal kena blame.

According to the big sign in front of me, I could only get the temporary pass in exchange for an IC, driving license or passport. As I had neither of these on my person, I smiled sheepishly at the female PB, wondering silently whether I could use one of my store loyalty cards instead. Was she going to turn me in for failing to carry my IC with me at all times? There's no jail sentence, is there?

The PB smiled back, trying very hard not to laugh. She asked if I could call a friend who would sign in on my behalf, but as I didn't have my phone with me, I couldn't reach anyone. The only person whose office number I remember happens to be my boss, and he was the last person I wanted to share this predicament with - though I have no qualms telling everyone else who bothers reading this blog what an airhead I can be.

I turned around, almost determined to take the LRT back home to collect all the forgotten stuff when thankfully enough I saw a colleague walking into the lobby. He obligingly 'lent' me his identity for the day.

That night I packed everything meticulously into my bag, and placed it right next to the bed. I'm not forgetting YOU anytime soon.

No comments: