Friday 11 August 2006

A little dash of nostalgia

Due to the transformation the company is undergoing, we've been requested to relocate to different premises to make way for a sister unit. Today the company organised a Spring Cleaning exercise to facilitate a'lean and mean' relocation. Apparently we're only allowed one box of personal items per person in the new office. I don't foresee myself moving into the new office anyway - probably shipped off to Kerteh or wherever directly from this project - but I still had to sort out the junk from the useful stuff. Thirty minutes and I should be able to get rid of all the junk

Problem is, while they may look like junk to everyone else, all those files and folders are important to me. Two hours on and my old desk looked no different from when I started. I found myself on a sentimental journey, flipping through pages and remembering the sweat and tears I put in for this job or that, the long hours and nightmares I endured to come up with a project ITB that earned me two lines of praise from the client. This is all of my working life, this is all of the experiences and lessons of six years as a dedicated employee of this company. It was difficult for me to let things go, if only for the memories that they evoked.

Even more heart-wrenching was all those business improvement initiatives that I partook in. A friend jokingly called me the Company mascot after I participated in a company Branding workshop. And there was the Growth Strategy Study, when I spent half a day after my wedding finalising the presentation materials. Back then I was swept up in the dreams and visions of greatness, but that has all disappeared in a puff of smoke. All for nothing.

Yes, yes, I know I should be looking at the bigger picture, and I know that most of us are still secured of a job in the new set-up, but I still can't help feeling like the sacrificial lamb.

No comments: