Wednesday 5 July 2006

Boss, I'm due for promotion

This wonderful Company is very sadistic about promoting people. It used to be (way back when I was still green in the job) that after a certain number of years in the same position, you'd get promoted to the next level, as long as there was a 'box' available for you. Strictly speaking, one had to attend a requisite number of functional training to be considered 'skilled' enough to be promoted, but this was not really implemented. People got by despite being less technically adept than their subordinates.

Someone must have alerted the Big Guys in 2002, because suddenly everyone's movement up the career ladder (at least those in the same job grade as me) was put on hold until they completed their training. The training centre had to hold extra sessions, all jam-packed with 20-plus participants, to cater for the number of personnel due for promotion. I was quite happy then to give up my training spot to more senior (read: more years in the company) people, as I'd already had two mini-promotions in as many years.

Then the salary scale was revised. Instead of just jumping from grade to grade, these were now grouped together into several 'bands'. Making the big leap from the bottom band (where I am now) required one not just to complete their training, but also to prove their technical competence through an oral assessment. And this is the headache for me. My assessment is in TWO DAYS' TIME!!!

If I had done the assessment back in 2004, I would have passed with flying colours.
I did go for a 'just-for-the-heck-of-it' assessment then, and the results were very encouraging. In fact, competency-wise, I leapfrogged at least half of my more senior colleagues. But as I had yet to finish my training then, I wasn't eligible for promotion anyway. Besides, I couldn't langkah bendul over so many other engineers in my department, so I didn't really make a fuss about it. After all, making the big leap after 6 years in the job, as opposed to 4, is still an achievement compared to some.

However, post-delivery and still recuperating from Pregnancy Brain Drain, I can't seem to recall anything from all the training and work I've done (except for the sweat and tears). I tried to get out of it by submitting the 2004 results, but apparently they're only valid for a year so I have to do it all over again. So here I am, in a self-imposed confinement back at the condo away from my kids, and what am I doing? Blogging and bloghopping as usual.

Aaargh!!! Stress siot!!!

No comments: