Friday 28 September 2007

The Blind Beggar

Someone emailed me this story today. Although I've read several versions of it already in the past, it never fails to move me to tears.

*****************************************

In the days of the prophet Muhammad S.A.W., there lived a blind Jewish beggar in the market of Madinah. Everyday he would tell those who cared to listen that Muhammad was a crazy man, a liar and a magician, and warned them against approaching the prophet for fear of being influenced by him.

Each morning, however, Muhammad would bring some food to the blind beggar and feed him without ever speaking a word to his critic. This happened without fail until Muhammad passed away.

One day, Muhammad's companion and father-in-law, Abu Bakar R.A. went to visit his daughter, Aishah R.A., who was Muhammad's widow. He asked her, "My daughter, are there any of my beloved (Muhammad's) habits that I have not yet performed?"

Aishah replied, "My father, you are a faithful follower who has done almost everything except one."

"What is that?"

"Every morning Muhammad would go to the market and take food to a blind Jewish beggar there."

So the next morning, Abu Bakar R.A. went to the market with some food. As he approached the beggar and started to feed him, the beggar scowled angrily and said, "Who are you?"

Abu Bakar replied, "I am the one who normally comes t0 visit you."

The blind man retorted, "No, you are not he. When he comes here, I do not have difficulty in handling and chewing the food. That man feeds me, but not until he has softened the food considerably does he bring it to my mouth."

At this, Abu Bakar could no longer hold back his tears and confessed to the blind man, "You are right, I am not that man. I am one of his companions. That noble person is no longer with us. He was Muhammad S.A.W."

The blind beggar, shocked to to the core, started to sob, "Is this true? All this while I have been insulting and spreading slanders against him, but he has never hurt me, instead he provides me with food every day. He is indeed pure and noble."

The beggar then repented and pronounced the Syahadah, witnessed by Abu Bakar. From that day forth he became a Muslim.

*************************************

How easy it is for us to get angry and retaliate at the slightest provocation! How many of us can truly say that we are as forgiving and generous as Rasulullah?

No comments: