Saturday 11 April 2009

House Arrest

I can't believe this has happened.

We were supposed to go to Mak's house in Damansara this morning, our usual weekend routine. Just after we entered the NKVE at noon from the Bukit Jelutong toll-house, Nuaim exclaimed that he had left his favourite pillow at home. I took the next exit at Subang and headed back to TTDI Jaya via Glenmarie.

When we arrived home and I had picked up the right pillow, I noticed the automatic swing gates - which I always close after entering the drive - was half ajar. The car would not be able to get through, so I pressed the remote control again. One gate opened swung inwards, then opened fully, while the other moved a couple of inches before resuming its half-open position. I pressed the remote several times, but the same thing happened.

Maybe it needs to be fully closed before it swings open fully again, I thought to myself. I resumed my efforts, this time with the intention of getting the gates closed, which eventually they did.

And then they would not open again.

Frantically I searched for some way of pushing the gates open manually, but the motorised levers kept them rigidly in place. I inspected every part of the mechanism, hoping for a button, a switch - SOMETHING!! - to override the circuit, buit still I could not find anything. Finally I attempted to open the control box, but a warning on the cover stopped me.

There was no address or telephone number on the box, and I don't remember ever seeing the manual (the automatic gates came with the house), and even when I googled the model number there was nothing. It wasn't listed on TM directory either.

By then it was 2 pm and the kids were hungry. Luckily there was some cooked food that I had intended to take to Damansara for lunch, which my maid quickly heated up. I gave it a rest, and an hour later called the contractor who had done the house renovations to see if he could help.

It was almost dusk and no one turned up. I called him again, but as expected there was no answer. My contractor very clever one, only gives out his business number which he switches off after 5 pm.

Fortunately Hubby called and informed me of another technician that could help, but since it was already late, I decided to leave it till tomorrow.

So here we are, spending the odd weekend at home, and grounded. I just hope it'll get fixed by Monday.

No comments: