Friday 3 November 2006

Counting My Blessings

This morning we had a meeting to address the project's schedule slippage. We've got another five months to complete the job, and less than half the required manpower to complete it. So the first stop gap measure that management has come up with is for us to work overtime.

Now, being executives, we're not entitled to claim monetary compensation for the overtime hours. The only carrot being offered is day off in lieu, but only if we put in at least an extra 4 hours after 5 pm. Per day. Oh yes, and dinner.

I'm not complaining here. I've been doing this since my first year in this job. Not from the first day though - those weeks were easy, when I didn't have a real project to my name. But it's been the norm for me to stay late at the office for various reasons. Sometimes it's the work, other times it's the traffic or weather. And of course, at one time, it was a love interest. But now love interest is marital spouse and far away in Sudan.

Despite the perfect setting for doom and gloom, I still feel pretty positive about my life in general. And this is why:
  1. I am blessed with a husband who loves me and fancies me like mad. He may not be rich, nor is he the handsomest man in the universe, but he truly appreciates me despite all my faults (although sometimes I wish he'd display his appreciation in more affectionate ways).
  2. I am blessed with a beautiful, intelligent son (my first) who can charm the pants off a 90-year-old crone.
  3. I am blessed with a healthy, strong, tenacious son (my second) who could probably pull off a virgin maid's chastity belt with his bare hands.
  4. My in-laws treat me and accept me as their own daughter, and, since they don't have any daughters of their own, that's a very privileged position to be in. So much so that I happily spent 9 days of my Raya holidays with them, in Alor Setar, despite my husband not being there with me.
  5. My job, despite it's wacky schedule and near impossible targets, has enough challenges that gives me immense satisfaction when I overcome them. And although sometimes my superiors give me tasks beyond my job scope, it allows me to develop and discover new talents I never knew I had. And my colleagues and subordinates are wonderful people to work with.

All in all, I'm in a pretty comfortable position right now. I just hope it stays that way.

Right, looking forward to a weekend of binging now. I got three open houses to go to. Looks like I'll have to put off my Puasa 6 till next week.

Be good y'all.

No comments: