Wednesday 15 February 2006

Temporarily Empty Nest

It had rained yesterday afternoon, and I had had an after-work appointment with an insurance consultant who was going like a bullet train, she gave me such a hard time to interject and ask questions (is this common to all insurance consultants/ sales people in general?). Anyway, by the time we reached Mak's house, it was just in time for Maghrib and dinner.

It was Mak's turn to have a 'Kutu' gathering yesterday, which usually means lots of good stuff to eat. As it turned out, the menu was 'Nasi Dagang Terengganu' (the beras pulut version) with kerutuk ayam, gulai udang and gulai ikan tongkol. There was also pengat pisang for dessert. I would have also sampled the rojak pasembor, but by then it had gone off a bit so I'll have to satisfy my craving for it some other day.

Anyway, after a satisfying meal, Maghrib prayers and generally just lounging about (as anyone is wont to do when they go back to their parents' house), we decided to call it a night and head back home around 9 p.m. Nuaim, however, had other ideas. When I told him we were leaving, instead of heading towards the door as he normally does, he went to Mak instead, pushing me away and saying, "Bye Bye, Ummi!"

I thought he was just joking then, but when I told Hubby and we both called out to him, he just totally ignored us and started getting Mak to play Hide-and-Seek with him instead. Oh well, I thought, if you want to stay the night at your grandma's house it's fine with me. At least I'll be able to get a good night's sleep and my nipples would be spared from mutilation by a 20-month-old toddler's very sharp teeth (yes, at his age and my pregnancy, Nuaim still insists on being breastfed to sleep!).

As we drove into our carpark, Hubby commented, "It's so quiet."

By the time we were back in the condo, it was a relief to be able to totally relax and do the whole wash-tone-moisturise face-cleansing routine without Nuaim crying for attention, but only temporarily. Before long, we found ourselves filling the silence with anecdotes of Nuaim's amusing antics in the past few days.

So this is what it feels like when the children have left. And it was only for one night...

Oh, BTW, it's high time I put a picture of this little adorable monster on the blog. Maybe I'm biased, being his mother and all that, but you tell me, how can you resist such an angel?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're not being biased Dian. He's really really adorable. Alhamdulillah. :-)

-Fatim-

Anonymous said...

dian, i've had that feeling before and after that, i promised to myself to never leave rania at my mum's place again though sometimes my mum begs like crazy. anak u comelnya!!